Scott was responding to a question that said, ‘Our church is in the beginnings of what is going to be a painful change in terms of trying to become more “relevant.” My question for you is how do I “catch up” culturally on a personal level?’
Scott’s answers included suggestions like…
- Read Blogs
- Subscribe to some magazines that are in touch with current culture
- Subscribe to some podcasts
- Get rid of the PC and buy a Mac
- Twitter and Facebook
- Read a lot of books
- Brows new and most popular music in iTunes
- Go to some conferences that will stretch and challenge you
- Visit some churches who are DOING IT!
- Listen to your son
- Be yourself
It’s a good list, and there are some added details on his post that are worth plugging into. I took the suggestion to subscribe to some podcasts – American Life has been interesting.
But what I find the most interesting is his last line,
‘But the church’s best days are when we are no longer chasing or imitating culture, but actually shaping it!’